Total Pageviews

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Lost or Found in Translation

Dr. Kathryn Higgins and Lisa Monaghan
Hello everyone, well, my Belfast journey has ended and I am now tucked away in a hotel in Dublin for the next three nights. The presentation this morning was a fantastic conversation about evidence-informed practice held at Queen's University in Belfast. Many people in the room understood the need to bring research to practice, but how can we build on the networks that we already have in place to move ideas forward. The group spend a good deal of time exploring the theoretical underpinnings of evidence-informed practice (Hall's model). I have to say, these Irish really embrace the notion of practice and consumer wisdom, in a way, that in my humble opinion far exceeds our understanding of it in North American society.  I loved John Pinkerton's title, "lost in translation'"or I would like to say, PART  works to find it in translation.It was suggested that PART could do a study that includes non member and member agencies, and determine how or if case decisions are being influenced at all by the organizational and systemic underpinnings of EIP--thanks to Dr. Higgins for that brilliant suggestion. So, Link PARTners, any thoughts are welcome here! I shall bring this idea forward to the group. PART has the makings of an excellent research study, indeed.


Me--Canada Room at Queen's University

The two Kates!

All told, the presentation was from my perspective, successful given the great questions and comments at the end. The presentation was held in the Canada Room no less, at Queen's.
I want to say a huge thank you to Lisa Monaghan and Dr. Kathryn Higgins for being fantastic hosts. I had the most wonderful time. And a final thank you for Kathryn, for not only being a wonderful colleague but also an amazing friend! Cheers to her and her amazing energy, and joie de vivre.


No comments:

Post a Comment